+91-11-4750 5866, +91-11-4750 5865


Online Registration   

Red Earth


Work Visas

When planning to work in Canada, choosing a right type of visa is the first and most important career move. Each year more and more workers are coming to Canada on temporary visas, to realise their dreams. To help such immigrants choose the right visas, the Canadian government has classified different types of work visas. Such classifications majorly include the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, the Canadian Experience Class, the Provincial Nominee Program and the International Experience Canada Program.


Temporary Work Permit Program

The temporary work permit program allows thousands of non-Canadian workers to visit Canada and work on a temporary basis. An employment offer from a recognized Canadian employer is necessary to get a temporary work permit from ESDC.


Canadian Experience Class Immigration Program

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a program dedicated to workers who are already in Canada temporarily and wish to extend their stay, permanently. Such candidates would have already established a network in the society by working under the temporary work permit. However, candidates who were self employed or gained the work experience while studying full time in Canada, or reside in Quebec are not eligible to apply for this work program.


Provincial Nominee Program

PNP helps the provinces of Canada to recognize the skills and jobs, which are in demand in the provinces, and to select their own candidates. Provinces other than Quebec nominate the candidates through this program.


Some of the most common immigration permits are briefly explained here -


Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

Labour Market Impact Assessment also called Labour Market Opinion (LMO) is an approval form, which is required to be obtained by any Canadian employer before hiring a non-resident. The employer should make sure that there is no skilled labour available in Canada to fill a particular position. The employer then needs an approval from the government to hire a non-resident labourer. The government approves the application only after realising that the hiring will have positive or neutral impact on the labour market.

Open Work Permit

This is a permit, which allows the holder to work with any employer, regardless of the type of occupation, in Canada, even if the employer does not have LMIA report. Mainly the spouses and partners of temporary foreign workers or students, who wish to work in Canada, can apply for this type of work permit. The period for this would mainly depend on the duration of permit offered to the principal foreign worker or student to stay in Canada.

Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)

If a foreign worker, who is legally working in Canada, wishes to extend his stay on a permanent basis, he can apply for a residential visa under different schemes like Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Federal Skills Trade (FST), Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP) and so on. A person, who has applied for a residential visa under any of such schemes, can continue to work in Canada through Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP), until the application is processed.

International Experience Canada

This is a special program offered by the Canadian government to help foreigners to experience the Canadian life. It allows the applicants to work in Canada for a temporary period. It has following three sub divisions.


•  Working Holiday

Under this, the applicants are offered open work permit, which allows them to work in any stream for 1 to 2 years.


•  Young Professionals

This is to help the budding professionals to gain practical experience from a Canadian employer. A job offer under the National Occupation Code (NOC) is required from the Canadian employer to apply for this work permit.


•  International Co-op

This allows the international post-graduate students to work as an intern in any of the Canadian companies. The intern position should be pre applied and offered, before applying for this program.


Federal Skilled Worker Visa

This is a type of permanent residential visa offered by the Canadian government. In this program, an applicant is evaluated for his ability to establish economically, once he has` immigrated to Canada. The applicants should first apply online through Express Entry and submit the Expression of Interest. Requirements to apply for this visa are-


•    Must be a salaried employee, working in the skilled job, for a minimum of 1 straight year, in the past 10 years

•    Should be qualified to obtain LMIA or should also possess a job offer from a Canadian company

•    Should pass the language tests of English and French

•    Should be able to attain a minimum of 67 points in the assessment


Canada Low Skill Work Permit

This is a type of temporary visa offered by the Canadian government, to fulfil the demands for low skill jobs in Canada. This indeed is an excellent opportunity for people to work for jobs, which demand only basic education and training. If granted, this visa allows the applicant to enter and work in a low skill job and craves the way to re-apply for a visa to stay up to 2 years.

Even this visa requires the applicant to carry a job offer from a Canadian employer. The job offer should specify the wages offered, duties the applicant will be involved in, the benefits and the medical coverage for the applicant, during the stay.


Federal Skilled Trade Class

Federal Skilled Trade Class (FSTC), also known as the Federal Skilled Trade Program, is a program where the applicant is evaluated if he/she can be economically established, once they enter Canada. This is the precaution taken by the government, after receiving complaints on the bad living standards of immigrants. The applicant has to apply online along with the Expression of Interest on the Express Entry Portal.


To qualify for this permanent residential visa, the applicant should be able to furnish documents such as


•    the offer letter for a period of minimum 12 months from a recognized Canadian employer

•    or a certificate of qualification from a provincial body,

•    proof of basic language expertise and

•    24 months of qualified work experience


Quebec Skilled Worker Program (QSWP)

Applicants who wish to reside in any of the regions in the Quebec province, has to apply through this visa. Similar to other programs, the applicant is assessed for economic stability, after immigrating to the region.


The government of Quebec will be responsible for this program, which is also known as Regular Skilled Worker Program. Elected individuals will obtain a certificate known as the Quebec Selection Certificate, which is essential for the Canadian Permanent Residential Visa.


To obtain a certificate, the candidate should score a minimum of 49 points if single or a minimum of 57 points if applying along with a partner. The government allows 10,000 applicants in a year under this program.

Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program (MPNP)

Applicants who wish to immigrate to the Manitoba province, should apply through this program. The province identifies the skills and jobs that are in demand, and applicants with such skills can apply through MPNP. The applicants can apply either through the Express Entry or outside it.


Three major streams to apply to this program are:


•    Skilled Worker

The applicant has to apply with an Expression of Interest. The program ranks each applicant and selects the applicants with best scores.


•    Business Investor

The applicant, who wishes to invest in a business in the province, should apply with the Expression of Interest and after assessing all the applicants, best applications are welcomed.


•    Modern Community Driven Immigration Initiative

Modern, a small city in the province is inviting applicants for a number of skilled occupations, on a permanent basis, through this program.